Monday, April 16, 2012

From the Ground Up....

Rugs are an important element in any room.  They anchor furniture and create a boundary for different seating areas.  In some cases, they act as artwork in the room with vivid color and pattern.  For neutral rugs like seagrass and sisal, they add texture and can be layered with additional rugs or left natural.  Neutral rugs can be used in any type of decor and are a good starting point if you like to change the decor around often.  There are several places that I always like to put a rug.  I use seagrass the most because it is durable, natural and I find it to be the most versatile.  Living rooms (primarily anchoring the coffee table and seating around that), dining rooms (large enough for the table and chairs to be on it and have room around it) and bedrooms (foot of the bed ) are the most common places for me to put rugs.  Offices usually have one that covers the floor under the desk and the seating in front of the desk.  For bedrooms, I like to use something that is soft underfoot and experiment with color.  How about rugs in the kitchen?  Why not?  I have a rug in my kitchen under a vintage table that I use as an island and I love it.  It is a very durable jute rug that has a lot of texture and adds a furniture feel to my kitchen.  With 2 kids, 1 husband and two dogs, these rugs go through a lot and surprisingly stand up extremely well.  Another option for rugs is to use them as wall hangings.  This can look incredible as long as the rug is a good quality and the size is large enough.  Antique rugs add character and act as a unique element in the space.  They are timeless and expensive but can last a lifetime.  To me, rugs not only define a space, they set the tone for the decor and are an essential element in any room. The great thing about rugs is that they are available in all price ranges and come with endless options and combinations .  Here are some great rooms for visual inspiration. 






Domino Magazine 2008





 


 








Don't forget to check out the Guest House Shop once in a while too!  I'm going to be adding some new (old) goodies this week.  Have a great day!

 
If you're interested in maximizing your occupancy and creating one of a kind guest accomodations, contact me at Guest House Interiors.

No comments:

Post a Comment